Friday, July 29, 2011

Abiding in Christ: A Study on John 15:1-8 (Verse 3)

John 15:1-8
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
Verse 3: You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.

What does Jesus mean about being clean? The Greek word for clean is katharas. It has physical and spiritual implications. Physically, it means to be purified by fire or cleansed by pruning in order to bear fruit. Spiritually, it means to be free from sin and guilt, blameless.

Some time before Jesus talked about a vine, branches and bearing fruit, he washed the disciples feet, and spoke to them about being clean.

John 13:1-10a
Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
Jesus answered, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean..."
Unless we are cleansed of our sins by Jesus, we can have no part with Him. In other words, unless we are purified and free from guilt and sin, we cannot claim to be His disciples. Jesus informed Simon Peter that if he has had a bath, his body is clean. This makes me think of baptism. After a person is saved, he makes a declaration of faith and then is immersed under water. The symbolism is death to life, but I also believe it is a symbolism of cleansing. When a person is saved, he has been cleansed of guilt and sin. But during his life, he is going to sin. His feet will become dirty, and will need to be washed occasionally.

Let me put it this way: Salvation is the bath and sanctification is the foot washing. So, if you have chosen to follow Christ, you are already clean. You don't need to take another bath. Just remember that your feet are going to get dirty. You're going to sin. Repent, and allow Jesus to wash your feet, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment