Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Microwave

I've been feeling more pressure to get back on facebook. I told one of my friends to get 100 signatures on a petition to have me rejoin, and I would. She convinced me to decrease it to 50. Haha. Even though I like the idea of not being a total conformist, I miss the interaction. There are pictures I don't see and stories I miss out on because I'm not on FB. Plus, all those facebook events I don't get invited to. haha But, I also save myself from plenty of drama and negativity and gossip, not to mention how much time I could be wasting.

Recently, our microwave died. It involved a little smoke and an electrical fragrance. So, for the past couple weeks, we've had to use the stove and the oven for all of our cooking. It definitely takes more time and planning, but I've noticed that the food tastes better! Even though I'm required to put forth a little more effort (and have more patience), the results have been yummier for sure. We're going to get a new one eventually, but I've actually grown to like cooking the "old-fashioned" way.

Facebook is like a microwave. It's convenient and does what it's supposed to, but it might not be the most healthy and satisfactory tool.

Now I'm not saying that facebook is bad or that radiation is involved. I'm just wondering if it affects the quality of relationships, because it's too easy. People don't have to put forth any effort. They can just look at their iPhone or hop on their laptop, read some status updates and post a few comments.

Facebook is a great tool, just like a microwave is. But it shouldn't be the only tool we use in fostering relationships. Sometimes we have to plan a little more and put forth more effort to get the best results. That might mean picking up the phone or mailing a letter (support the USPS! lol) or driving over to someone's house and talking to them face to face as alternate ways of communicating. It might mean *doing* something for our friends and loved ones to show our appreciation rather than just saying something on facebook. I can't give you a hug or hold your hands while praying with you or bake you cookies or share a meal with your family or babysit your kids or go to the zoo with you on facebook.

While typing this blog, I've realized that I probably haven't been putting forth the best effort over this last year. From now on, I'm going to plan a little more and take more time to foster relationships with my family and friends.

However, this isn't to say that I'm opposed to rejoining facebook one of these days.... ;0)

PS I'll post updates of my life in another blog soon, but right now, I need to go spend some quality time with my children.

2 comments:

  1. Facebook is a great tool but I agree that it's not always great, especially in the time consuming issue. Recently, I took a break from my blog and Twitter to spend more time with my wife, kids and friends, and with God. As a dad, it seems there are always things that demand my attention and I've been working on prioritizing lately. Definitely not good at it yet but I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electrical fragrance... haha! I laughed.

    ReplyDelete