Sunday, August 14, 2011

God, Are You Cozy?

I read an article about the faith of Bear Grylls (he's the star of Man vs Wild in case you didn't know) last night. His faith is very simple and childlike. You can read all about it here. In the article he said something that really moved me: "One of the big questions I asked was that, you know, 'If you do exist, are you cozy? Are you what my heart aches for?'"

I think the reason I like that quote so much is because I could see myself saying it. God, I'm lonely and afraid and hurt... Can I sit with you for awhile? Will you wrap your arms around me? Will you whisper my name and tell me you love me? Will you be my friend? Will you help me through this situation? Will you love me, even though I... ? And I know the answer to every one of those questions is always yes.

There are so many people who are aching for something - Someone - to fill the emptiness in their lives. They certainly don't want religion or church politics or denominations or doctrines . Nobody who longs for supernatural love wakes up one day and says, "you know what would make me whole? A good debate about Calvinism and Arminianism." No, they want to be held and loved and forgiven. They want to know that God is there for them. I think Christians complicate the things of God, both for ourselves and for those who are seeking. We need to get back to the profound simplicity of the love of (and for) Christ.

So, is God cozy? Here are some verses that might answer that question.

Romans 2:4b - God's kindness leads you toward repentance.

Jeremiah 31 - "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness"

Deuteronomy 31:8 - The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Psalm 139:7-10 - Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

Matthew 11:28-29 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Psalm 86:15 -  But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Hebrews 4:14 - Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.


Isaiah 66:13a - As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you;

These are only a few verses describing God's love, compassion, kindness, comfort and grace. I know that when I need a lap to crawl onto, that God's is available. And for that, I am so thankful. He is indeed what my heart aches for.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarahbeth! So glad you stumbled upon my blog (though not so glad about the reason for it :-P ) and glad I stumbled upon yours!

    Fatherhood totally destroyed my views of God as Father, in a very good way. Sure I discipline my daughters, but there's nothing I love more than cuddling up with them and being with them. And the Is 66 verse is especially striking for me as I see how kind and compassionate my wife is when my kids get hurt (and being 3, she gets hurt a lot more than we'd like), it's shockingly comforting that God treats us the same way.

    ReplyDelete