Monday, December 5, 2011

The Goose is Getting Fat

I've officially gotten into the Christmas spirit.

Our decorations are up, including our first normal sized Christmas tree! Years before, we put up a little "Charlie Brown" tree that sat on a table in the corner. Well, my parents had an extra one they didn't need, so they gave it to us. It's just perfect for our little living room! Last Thursday, Justin put it together (I understand that going out in the cold, chopping down a real tree and hauling it home is a bit more manly, but I'm content with a fake one.) and strung the lights. He also did the garland at the top of the tree and put on the star. I did the rest of the trimmings. I also put out the Nativity set and other Christmas decorations.
I made this Advent calendar for the kids, along with a bunch of little ornaments to put in the drawers. Each day they get to open a drawer and put the ornament on the tree. I don't have 25 ornaments yet. I may have to substitute candy or other treats for some of the drawers.

Don't worry, the clashing table cloth didn't stay.
 



In addition to the decorations, there are some events coming up. I know that a lot of people get stressed out and annoyed by all the Christmas/Holiday events they're obligated to attend, but I'm excited! We have a friends' Christmas party this weekend, a cookie decorating party and exchange next week. There's a visit to Ohio to see my family, as well as the Farno Christmas exchange. Later in the month, we're having our mommies group Christmas party, part of which will be here. Christmas morning will just be our little family, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Judy will come up at the end of the month, which is when the kids will have a million more gifts to open.

I'm done buying gifts for the kids - but that's easy when you only get 3 for each. I do have some more shopping to do, but I'm not stressed about it. I'm hoping to get almost everything without physically entering a store. We'll see how that goes.

Unlike the vast majority of families around the country, we do not celebrate Santa Claus. There are just a few Santa ornaments. I don't think the idea of Santa is evil, especially since I know he's based on a real guy. Plus, I believed in Santa when I was little, and I turned out all right. ;0)  I just don't want to deceive my children about anything.  Obviously, we're going to make Jesus the emphasis of the season. At the same time, I want them to enjoy the "magic" of Christmas. I want my children to be excited about the gifts under the tree, and for a few years at least, wonder who and where they came from. One thing's for certain, I don't want my kids to ever think that they get gifts because of their behavior. They get gifts because we love them.

All in all, it's going to be a wonderful Christmas!

Speaking of wonderful, I wonder when It's a Wonderful Life will be on TV. There's another tradition I'll have to start with the kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment