Friday, June 17, 2011

Gluttony

So I was thinking about gluttony the other day. I had read a blog post a while back about how it's the one "Deadly Sin" that isn't all that deadly. I mean, is it really a sin? I mean everyone overeats from time to time. Granted, some people overindulge more than others, but still, it's not a big deal, right?

I have never once had someone correct me or rebuke me for the amount of food I've eaten. Sometimes I find myself saying things like, "I am so full, but I just can't stop eating - this is so good!" Or, "I am stuffed. Someone needs to roll me out the door." Or, "I'm so full I have to unbutton my pants. Hope that doesn't bother anyone."

If I told a Christian, "I went to Old Country Buffet yesterday, and boy did I eat! I totally stuffed myself, and not on healthy food." They would probably tell me that we all do it or that it happens to the best of us. 

Now, imagine I said this: "I went to (Blank) Bar last night and I had a few drinks with some friends. We had a great time talking and laughing and reminiscing..." They would probably say, "Wait, what? I didn't hear anything after 'bar.' How many drinks did you say you had? You could be a stumbling block, you know."

See the discrepancy? Drinking alcohol, even responsibly, is frowned upon by many Christians. But the sin of gluttony is accepted and practically celebrated. Don't get me wrong, I know that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:10), but is drunkenness a worse sin than gluttony?

But we can discuss this more after my omelet, hash browns, sausage and french toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment