Sunday, June 5, 2011

Moving Mountains and Mulberry Trees

Matthew 17:20 - "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Mark 11:22-24 - "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Luke 17:6 - He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.
I'm pretty sure that if I could talk to Jesus face to face, he would say to me, "You of little faith!" To that I'd say, "Increase my faith and help me overcome my unbelief!" I want to read the above verses without a hint of doubt in my heart. I want to believe that what Jesus said is possible. I want to believe that mountains and mulberry trees really can be commanded into the sea.

And then, I think about the couple on the brink of divorce, that finally cries out to the Lord, believing that He can restore their marriage. They have faith that God will do the impossible, and fix a relationship that was once beyond fixing.

I think about the family drowning in debt, that faithfully decides to submit their finances to the Lord. They believe that by trusting and obeying God, they will one day be free of the burdens of debt.

I think about the man who never thought it was possible to forgive his abusive parents. He harbored bitterness, until the day he truly has faith in God's word, saying, "I forgive them and I love them."

I think about the parents who cannot imagine experiencing happiness after the death of their child. But instead of wallowing in self pity, they call out to the Lord, begging Him to mend their broken hearts, believing that He will.

I think about the woman who, after years of self-doubt, self-hatred and self-abuse, can finally look in the mirror and see someone beautiful. She believes that God created her and loves her.

I think about the sick person who believes in the healing power of Jesus Christ.

I think about the parents who believe that God will bring their prodigal children home.

I think about the unemployed man who believes that the Lord will provide all of his needs.

You see, mountains and mulberry trees are commanded into the sea everyday. In the same way that it is impossible to tell a mountain or a tree to be cast into the sea, there are situations that loom over our lives that seem impossible to overcome. Yet, when someone has a little faith that God can and will restore, deliver, heal, provide and fix, He comes through.

"Hey mountain and mulberry tree, it's time to go swimming."

No comments:

Post a Comment