Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DeMOCKracy

My interests in politics rises and falls depending on the current events. Lately, I've been very tuned into what's going on in Wisconsin, the country and the world. Granted, just about everyone has been paying attention to Wisconsin these last few weeks.

Let me first say that I don't hate liberals. In fact, I love a few quite dearly. I still think they're wrong, but I respect their opinions. I'm not going to call them names or belittle them because they think differently than I do. I don't particularly like the way many of the protesters are acting - being rude, obnoxious and mean spirited. And I certainly do not approve of the teachers abandoning their students to spend a few days at the Capitol. As much as the  protesters in Madison might annoy me, I recognize their right to assemble, and I respect that right.

However, I do not respect the Democratic senators who deserted their constituents. Let me make myself clear: the Democratic senators did not escape. They are AWOL. They are not doing their job, and still getting paid for it by taxpayers. They might be "working," but they're not doing what they were elected (hired) to do. And that's represent the taxpayers by VOTING.

Remember this?

People who says that these senators are heroes need to be put in their place. Running away when things are difficult or not going your way is NOT heroic. It is cowardly. Their behavior makes a mockery of their constituents and more importantly, democracy. They are insulting the men and women who fought (like, my husband) and died to protect the ideals of our Constitution.

I don't even care about the bill that Governor Walker introduced (at least not for the purpose of this blog). That's fine if you disagree with what he has proposed. And it's more than fine for the representatives and senators to vote against it. That is how it's supposed to work. Instead, we have the tail wagging the dog. The MINORITY senators hiding out in Illinois are controlling the process of legislation by refusing to participate.

What kind of  precedence is this setting? Can you imagine if every time congressmen had a problem with a bill, they fled the state to prevent the process of legislation from continuing? This should concern Americans, because that is not democracy. It is anarchy. And I for one, can think of little worse for our state and country than the absence of government.

No comments:

Post a Comment