Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Not Ashamed of the Gospel Part 1

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. (Romans 1:16)

But what is the gospel?

Put quite plainly, it is the message of the cross.

That is, God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

God forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. (Colossians 2:13b-15)
Sacrifice and offering you (God) did not desire, 
but my ears you have pierced;
The Septuagint, that is the Greek translation of the Hebrew bible, has: "but a body you have prepared for me." This makes me think of Philippians 2:7 -
Jesus made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
burnt offerings and sin offerings
you did not require.
Then I said, "Here I am, I have come -
it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, O my God;
"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." - Matthew 26:39b
your law is within my heart." (Psalm 40:6-8)
By Christ's will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus once for all. Day after day every (temple) priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest (Jesus) had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. (Hebrews 10:10-12)

The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18)

Salvation is found in no one else (but Jesus), for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)

In other words, God sent his son, in the form of a man, to die as a final sacrifice for all sins; therefore, whosoever believes and confesses will be saved.

Saved from what?

...To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment