Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life is but a Vapor

Today I found out that one of my classmates (from kindergarten to high school graduation) died as a result of childbirth complications. I'm from a small town, and there were less than 80 students in my graduating class. So everyone knew everyone. Mandi was her name. She had an identical twin sister named Abi. I haven't been in touch with either of them for a long time. I suppose not being on FB has something to do with that. For some reason, when I heard the news, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I cried a lot today. I don't know any details about what exactly happened. One thing I know is that the baby survived - a girl they named Abigail after her aunt. It pains me to think about what her husband, parents, sisters, brother, in-laws and close friends are going through right now. I'm upset as a result of empathy for her loved ones, not because I've lost a good friend. Although, I have always liked Mandi. As far as I can remember, she was always nice to me and to others. I also think this hits a little closer to home, not only because I knew her, but because I'm pregnant. Maternal mortality rates were always a statistic that meant little to me. I guess that's how statistics are: pointless until you know someone who is a statistic. I know that pretty much all death is tragic, but is there anything worse than going to the hospital with your wife, expecting your first baby, and then losing your wife in the process? The emotional rollercoaster has got to be almost unbearable. I pray that God would give everyone close to Mandi peace that surpasses understanding, that they would find comfort that defies logic and that their hearts would heal soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment