Sunday, October 3, 2010

There Ain't No Time for a Donut When God is in the House

An evangelist named Jeremy Prohaska is preaching at church every night this week, and I know that God is going to keep revealing Himself. Here are some of the things I got from tonight's sermon:

Isaiah 6:1-8.

In the year King Uzziah died,
  • King Uzziah did what was right in the eyes of the LORD. He sought God during the days of Zechariah. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success. 2 Chronicles 26:4-5.
  • Pride was King Uzziah's downfall. While trying to light incense in the temple (something only the Levites, who were consecrated to do so), he was suddenly stricken with a skin disease, and eventually died from it.
  • It wasn't until after King Uzziah died that
I saw the Lord seated on a throne,
  • King Uzziah represents everything that hinders us from seeing God.
  • Isaiah saw the Lord, and lived to tell about it!
high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.
  • God is HOLY!
  • He is high and lifted up, greater than anything on this earth.  
  • If we could just get a glimpse of God's glory...  
Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: with two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.
  • Seraph literally means "burning ones."
  • Isaiah's vision of Seraphim is the only one that refers to celestial beings
And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of His glory."
  • The seraphim fly around and shout nonstop,
  • The LORD Almighty is holy,
  • The whole earth is full of his glory.
  • Holiness means absolute purity - in both action and thought.
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
  • No special effects here, just God's holiness
  • I'm trying to imagine something so awesome and powerful 
"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined!
  • Isaiah was a prophet, a man of God, at least by human standards.
  • Yet when he stood before the LORD,  his sin was revealed.
  • When we truly see God for who He is, we realize how far from Him we are.
For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips,
  • First Isaiah realized that he was (generally) a sinner ("I am ruined").
  • Then he realized that he was (more specifically) a man of unclean lips.
  • And he was surrounded by people of unclean lips 
  • The presence of God reveals our sins to us - and sometimes others.
and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
  • We must be wowed by God again.
  • We are constantly trying to bring God down to our level, when we need to be rising up to His.
  • 1 Peter 1:15-16 - Be holy because God is holy. 
Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."
  • In the same way the coal cleansed Isaiah, the blood of Jesus cleanses our sins.
  • Jesus was the ultimate atonement for our sins.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send?" And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am i. Send me!"
  • This was not a commandment on God's part, but a volunteering on Isaiah's part.
  • Isaiah was committed to God personally. We must be committed to Jesus Christ, the person, not the cause of Christianity.
  • Would that I have the boldness to say (and mean) "Send me!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment