Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Want to Run...

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone running and immediately got an ache in my heart, remembering how much I loved to run. In my prime, (late 2004, all of 2005 and part of 2006), I ran miles and miles and miles. I remember getting home from work, getting my running gear on, and going for an enjoyable run. Sometimes I'd go 6 or 8 miles - and not even feel like it. I also remember running 15 miles while training for my marathon, and thinking "this is fun!" I just loved pounding the pavement (or concrete). It didn't matter what the weather was like either. Although, I wasn't a fan of really hot days. But I would totally run in the snow and often in the rain. Anywhere between 45 and 70 degrees was perfect. 80) I know that a lot of people don't understand it, but there's something about long distance running that is different than other types of exercise. For me, the first 1/2 mile or or so was usually tough, but once I got past that, it was smooth sailing for as long as I felt like going. It was definitely euphoric.

Sigh. I hate living in the past. I wish I could blame that stupid sidewalk near Swift and Holmes... But that trip/fall, which injured my knee really messed me up. While, it wasn't a serious injury, I wasn't able to run for a LONG time. And then I got pregnant with Josie. Whatever running skills I had were gone. I ran a few miles here and there, but nothing like it used to be.

I haven't run an organized race since before I got pregnant with Deuce. I ran my marathon 4 1/2 years ago. I don't want that to be my only one. But I am SO far from being in that kind of shape again. My endurance has not been so great lately. Usually, I can run a mile fairly easily, but not much more than that. I tend to run and walk intermittently. Maybe if I were outside and not on a treadmill, I could run farther more easily.

Meh. I just really want to get from where I am (not having as much motivation or endurance) to where I was (when running was a passion and not exercise, and I could go for miles with no problem). I guess all I can do is just start running. Justin and the kids can't afford for me to get hurt, so until Spring comes, I'll have to run inside on a treadmill.

I can do this. I wasn't a marathoner on the first day; it took lots of time and effort to work my way up to that distance. It's going to take time and effort to become a distance runner, but I really want to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment