Monday, August 30, 2010

Proverbs 31

Sometimes I think I'm awesome. My husband is so blessed to have me as his wife. And even though my kids don't know it yet, they've got a rockin mom.

Then I read Proverbs 31:10-31 and maybe I'm not as awesome as I had thought... Let's take it verse by verse.


10. A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

This is obviously subjective. I'd like to think that Justin sees that I'm worth more than jewels.

11. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

I don't think he has full confidence in me, at least not yet. As for the value, I'm not exactly sure to what is being referred. Spiritual value or monetary value? Either way, I definitely lack in some areas.

12. She brings him good not harm all the days of her life.

I wish this were true! I wish I could say that I have never said a hurtful word to my husband. I definitely desire to be a good wife. 

13. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. 

This just doesn't apply to me at all. Although, I do want to be more eager to do things with my hands other than type. 

14. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

Well, I do go to the Wal-mart on 27th for groceries even though Pick n Save is a lot closer. That's got to count for something that I'm willing to haul both kids out there in order to save some money. 

15. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

I do not like to get up while it is still dark. When this happens, it's the kids' fault, and usually Sesame Street gets turned on, and  I snooze on the couch for an hour. I know I know. But, I do make most of the meals, even if they're really simple sometimes. However, I do not have servant girls. A maid would be nice though. 

16. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

I did buy this house with my own cash money. Okay, that's not true. I got a loan. Anyway, I did have a garden for a couple years. But it wasn't my own money. My husband earned the money to plant it.

17. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

This most definitely is not the case. That is, the "work vigorously" part. I do get motivated at times and bust my butt. However, it's not an everyday thing. However, have you seen my guns? 

18. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.

Maybe I should get on Ebay or Craigslist. Yes, I turn out the lights at night when I go to bed. Is that a bad thing? 

19. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her her fingers.

If this has anything to do with sewing, it does not apply to me at all. I lack in that area of being a woman. 

20. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.

For sure I need to improve in this part of my life. I need to be more selfless and help those who are in need. 

21. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

That's right. Scarlet and Gray. Go Buckeyes! 
22. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 

Totally untrue. Although, I think it's okay that I don't know how to sew, and that I don't like to wear linen because it wrinkles so easily. 

23. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

If by "city gate" you mean the USPS processing plant in Milwaukee, then sure. 

24. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.

Again with the sewing! 

25. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

 Now we're talking. I want to be strong and dignified. But at the same time, I know that my strength is from the Lord. And, I'm okay if people think I'm not worthy of respect, but only if they are against God, and not my own behavior. Oh, I do laugh. At the past, present and future.
 
26. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

The only way I'm going to speak with wisdom and give faithful instruction is if I am in the word, seeking God daily. I need to be teachable, or I will never be able to teach. (Ooh that's deep.) At the same time, I want the boldness to give instruction as it's needed.

27. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

I take care of the kids and the house at least. As for idleness, I'm learning and improving. I certainly enjoy my veg time, but I'm getting better at accomplishing certain tasks before I turn into a total bum. 

28. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

They don't say that yet, but I do feel blessed. I think my husband thinks I'm all right for the most part. 

29. "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." 

There is no way that I surpass most wives, let alone all of them. I have so much work to do to improve. 

30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Smooth talking won't work, and how I look really doesn't matter all that much. But I do fear the LORD, and that's a good thing. 

31. Give her the rewards she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

In other words, a vacation is in order.  ;0)
Obviously, there are some cultural aspects to this passage of scripture. Some things just do not apply to me. What speaks to me the most about being a better wife are:

1. Bringing only good (respect) to my husband

2. Working eagerly and vigorously, not being idle

3. Having strength, dignity and wisdom

I think that if I consistently show Justin respect, if I work hard to keep the house (and children) in order, and if I stay strong through hardships, live a dignified Christian walk, and speak with wisdom, I will undoubtedly become a better wife. But the most important thing I can do as a wife is to pray for my husband.

Jesus, I lift up Justin to You, and pray that You would move in his life in a mighty way. Draw him to You so that You can reveal Yourself to him. I ask that Your hand of protection would be upon him while he works through the night. Give him your strength and peace. And God, please help me to be a better wife: more submissive and respectful, working hard, and seeking strength, dignity and wisdom. May it be Your will, Lord. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to think that I try my very hardest to be the best possible wife, but I know I fall short often. Great reminder... thanks SB for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 31 is a brutal chapter for women because it often shows us how much we lack. The cool thing about it is that God can make us into a "Proverbs 31" woman if we submit our heart and life to His will. Where God calls, He also equips. God, help us to be "Proverbs 31" women! :*)

    ReplyDelete